Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sweet Summertime

Teacher: "Are you excited for summer?"

Student: "Yeah, I guess so"

Teacher: "What do you mean you guess so?! Since the beginning of the school year, 
summer break is all you've talked about!"

Student: "Yeah, the break is nice. But then, it gets boring and I miss being in school."

Teacher: "I completely understand."

If you are a teacher or a student you probably have had a similar conversation to the one written above. I know I've had the conversation multiple times with several different students and I couldn't agree more with them! Summer can get boring. Teachers and students alike look forward to summer break, but after a few weeks you typically miss the hustle and bustle of school. Now I say typically because I can honestly say I haven't had that thought once since school has let out! I have had a surprisingly very busy summer and I've loved every second of it so far. In fact, thats why I've been MIA for several weeks. I just haven't had the time to sit down and blog about the current boots and spurs* of my life. So this is a "catch up" blog post. There are three wonderful things that have happened to me so far this summer and ironically they all, literally, involve boots....

1. Line Dancing
For my 25th birthday, my husband took me line dancing at the Waterin Trough and I've been hooked ever since. I used to go to square dances when I was younger, but it had been such a long time since I've been able to do some good ol' country dancing! I do enjoy the dancing, but I think I'm hooked on the Waterin Trough for a different reason. As odd as it sounds, I feel almost at home there. Its like stepping out of Florida and into the middle of a small town out in the midwest somewhere. There are wrangler jeans, boots, cowboy hats, and belt buckles EVERYWHERE. And of course, lots and lots of country music- all. night. long. I love it.

Line Dancing at the Waterin Trough


2. In the Breeze Horse Ranch
At the end of June, my friend Abby and I participated in a 5K Mud Run (which was awesome by the way). However, the best part about this run was that it took place within a horse farm. Incase you haven't read my past blog posts, I am in love with horses. I've been told that I could ride before I could walk. I feel most comfortable and in my element when I am on a horse. So, when I showed up for this mud run and saw several horses on the property, I immediately went is search of the owner to see if I could work at the barn. Before I knew it, I was filling out paperwork and was told to show up at the barn whenever my schedule would allow me to be there. I am SO grateful for the opportunity to work with and be around horses again. So if anyone in Florida wants to go for a horseback ride, schedule an appointment with In the Breeze Horse Ranch and ask for me to be your guide! I'd love to show you around the farm :-) 

Bentley and I at In the Breeze Horse Farm. Bentley is the horse that the barn has "given" me to work with!


3. A Dear Friend's Wedding
Finally, I had the wonderful opportunity to witness Dana Marie Yarbrough Griffin's wedding. Whew, thats a mouthful! Dana and I have been friends since '08 when I spent the summer working at a camp in Georgia. Her family took me in and even referred to me as their "adopted daughter". I love Dana and her family dearly, so when she asked me to come up early and help her out with some wedding details I obviously could not and would not deny her request! Unfortunately, Tropical Storm Debbie had other ideas and delayed my trip a couple of days. But once, I was back with Dana and back in Georgia I felt like we picked up right where we left off and I had an absolute blast! Not only did I love being back in Georgia with Dana's family, but I also just loved being back in the true south. I love the culture, I love the way people talk, and I love how absolutely kind and charming people are. So I wanted to take the time to say thank you to Miss Penny for all your hospitality(and margaritas), to Kip for organizing an incredible bachelorette night, to Miss Michele for your photography tips, to Grannie Fran for your advice, and to Mama Brenda for opening up your home to me. And finally, happy one week of being married to the wonderful couple- Tyler and Dana Griffin! 

The beautiful bride and myself! 

The kiss

Bachelorette Crew! 

Newlyweds

So that has been my summer so far in a nut shell. Its been busy, but full of just fun. The only negative or spur* of this summer has been the absence of my husband as he has been away. However, I look forward to being with him in about a week and for the adventures we will have on the family farm up in Ohio. While it is already July, I feel as though summer has just begun and I have plenty of more fun to look forward to! 

No comments:

Post a Comment