Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Never Forget

I actually liked freshman spanish class in high school. I felt as though I was pretty good at it too. On September 11, 2001, Miss Parroquiano began teaching us how to say the family tree en espanol. She flipped on the overhead (remember those?) and a large tree appeared on the board. I remember scribbling down notes furiously and even drawing my own tree. Suddenly, that familiar "beep"of the intercom sounded in the room and our principal's voice filled the classroom. 

"Our nation is under attack."

I will never forget where I was or how those words silenced an entire school so quickly. The principal continued to explain the terrorist attack that was currently ongoing in New York City. He then said a quick prayer and the room went silent again. No one really knew what to do. Miss Parroquiano continued to teach, but I wasn't worried about taking notes anymore. What was going on? What was happening? 
I went on to my next class, but by this time no one was really focused on the school day. Every television that we had in the school had the news on. For the rest of the day we went from class to class watching all the events of September 11 unfold. When it reached the news that the Pentagon had been hit, I remember a girl began crying loudly. Her father was working in the Pentagon that day. Soon after, we heard about the plane going down in Somerset County, only about eight counties away from school. Thankfully, no one at our school was directly effected. The girl whose father worked at the Pentagon was able to get word to her that he was safe. But it will always be a day that I will never, ever, forget. 

While I won't forget about the horrible events that happened that day, I don't think I will ever forget how we came together us a nation. I remember driving down the streets in small town Pennsylvania and seeing the American flag fly from almost every home. I remember how kind and helpful everyone was. I remember our nation coming together in a way that I have never seen before. 

I wish our nation would be that way again. 

On this day, eleven years later, I still get teary eyed thinking about those innocent people who lost their lives that day. I think of their families who have to live each day without their loved ones. I think about those soldiers who have left their families and friends at home to fight for our freedom and protection. I especially think of those soldiers who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for my freedom and my protection. I also think of their families who have to continue life without someone that they love. 

Finally, I think that we need to wake up as a nation. We say that we will never forget, but is that true? Where have the American flags gone? Or the appreciation for soldiers who die everyday for my freedom, for your freedom? Where is the kindness and the selflessness that was shown for weeks, even months after the attack? 

Please, America- Let's not forget.





No comments:

Post a Comment