Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The End of a Beginning

Next Tuesday, I will officially finish my first term of photography school. I can't believe how quickly the last nine weeks have gone by! I have learned SO much over that time and am feeling slightly overwhelmed because I know that the work ahead of me isn't going to get any easier. But, I am also so excited to see what is in store for me next term. Today, I spent the entire day finishing up final project for my last class. Other than final exams, my term is basically over. So, I figured I would share some of my favorite photos from this term with all of you! 

This was a project based on balanced light. I loved the background that the seat cushions gave though! 

I was given a project where I had to find a picture that inspired me to take a picture. I hadn't done any people photography yet, so I decided to look at some engagement pictures. This was the outcome of my "inspiration" shoot. I loved the color of the bridge! 

Another assignment was to take pictures of bold colors. I went to a outdoor market and there was just color everywhere! I spent a long time taking pictures of all the different foods that were at the market.

This image is from my favorite assignment. My professor gave me a list of words and I had to choose two and define the word in a photograph. This is my "DANCE". 

Another image from my "DANCE" session
These next four images are from my final project that I worked on ALL day today. I had to emulate a photographer who established his/her career before 1980. To challenge myself, I wanted to choose a photographer that took images that wouldn't typically be my style. I research Jan Groover who is most famous for images that she took only with items found in her kitchen. So, this morning I woke up early and started a photo shoot that confined me to my kitchen for hours. I learned that still life photography is HARD work!!

One thing I noticed about Jan Groover's work was that she only did partials of her subjects. She also had a reoccurring theme of green hues pop up in her images. I was so relieved that I had green dishes! 

Jan Groover also used a lot of shadows and reflections in her images. I had to really scrub and polish all my silverware and stainless steel to get some good reflections! 

Finally, Jan Groover just seemed to throw a lot of random things from her kitchen into one place and photograph it. I was standing on the counter to take this picture and slammed my head on the ceiling when I stood up too quick! 


This was from a composition assignment. This is an example of framing. I fell in LOVE with this picture! I was in downtown St. Pete with some friends who pointed out this archway. I quickly asked them if they wouldn't mind modeling as a couple in love for me and I'm so thankful that they agreed! 


Ok, so this picture wasn't from an assignment. I won tickets to the PBR that was being hosted down here in Tampa. What made my night was when I was able to go down and meet the top 15 bull riders in the country AND get their autographs!!

So there is a little peak of what I've been working on for the past several weeks. Hope you enjoyed the photos!

1 comment: