Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mahalo

My husband began his military career as an infantry soldier in the Army. He was one, who many would deem "lucky", to be stationed at Schofield Barracks in Hawaii. Although the island of Oahu is absolutely gorgeous, my husband's time on the island wasn't always a positive experience for him. He arrived on the island after he had just barely turned eighteen on Christmas Eve. He deployed from the island and returned there after spending fifteen months in Iraq. Needless to say, his view of Hawaii is probably a lot different than many world travelers or dreamy vacationers.
My view of the island however, is completely different. I had the opportunity to spend a significant amount of time on the island with my husband before the move was made back to the mainland. I absolutely fell in love it. The weather is perfect. The island way of life is wonderfully relaxed. The terrain is absolutely stunning. The beaches of course are unreal, but my favorite part of the island is the mountains. I never got tired of waking up and looking at those beautiful, lush, green mountains that are a part of the island. And I loved seeing, almost everyday, why Hawaii is known as the rainbow state. Everyday, I saw just how incredibly amazing and beautiful God's creation is and I loved every second of it. I miss it, terribly. Since my husband now drives boats for the Army, our options are somewhat limited to where we are able to be stationed, however Hawaii is one of those options. My dream is that one day we will be stationed there again. My husband isn't quite as thrilled about the idea since his past on the island doesn't always hold great memories, but he is open to the idea and understands that things would be much different the second time around. Sometimes my desire to live on the island again is strong that its almost painful. Yes, I understand that may sound corny or lame, but I don't know how else to describe it. Today or maybe this whole week (actually month), was one of those times when I just couldn't get the island, and the friends that we've made there, off of my mind. So below, I've used pictures to show you just how incredible my time on the island was and why I fell in love with it:
Beautiful scenery and awesome hiking trails! This trail is called Kole Kole Pass located on base at Schofield Barracks

More from Kole Kole Pass

Beautiful Sunsets and Sunrises

Street Performers on the Waikiki Strip

Chinaman's Hat- I was dying to see this! 



You bet I had to get some riding in on the island!

Watching storms roll in

The traditional island garb

Vacation Bible School

The views from Makakilo

I'm a HUGE fan of LOST, so I loved visiting all the LOST filming locations. This is where "the others" lived!

Fourth of July festivities at Schofield

One of our favorite places to go to: Ko Olina


Ever since I was little, I've wanted to go to Pearl Harbor. I never thought I would ever have the opportunity, so the day we were able to visit meant a lot to me. It was an incredible, sobering experience.




This place ranks up there in the top three places I loved about the island: snorkeling at Hanauma Bay!

I had the opportunity to be a counselor for our church's summer camp. I loved my girls!

I was able to witness my roommate's gorgeous wedding!

No words needed

the island at night



Rock jumping on the North Shore with the locals (yes thats me jumping! So fun!)

There is so much more that I wish I would have taken pictures of: spam musabi, sticky rice, shaved ice, the locals, surfing, outdoor malls, movie scenes, outings with friends, downtown Waikiki, Luaus, coffee farms, pineapples (which taste unreal by the way), learning to hula, the beautiful language, I could go on and on...


Living in Hawaii again is one of the deep desires of my hearts. It is something that I pray about very often. The Bible says in Psalm 37:4, "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart". Now, obviously this verse does not mean that God is going to grant me every single desire that I have. Sometimes His answer is "no" and sometimes it is "wait". But I do know that God wants us to talk and communicate with Him through prayer. He wants to know our desires just as much as He wants to know our needs. I just need to remember that He has a perfect plan for me. One day, it may be allowing us to live on Hawaii once more or His will may be that I never set foot on that island again. Whatever His will may be, I find comfort in His words from Jeremiah 29:11, " 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' "


Mahalo Hawai'i for the wonderful memories. Maybe, one day, I'll see you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment