Thursday, May 10, 2012

What's in a Name?

Blogging. Its something that I thought I would never do and yet, here I am.  I've entertained the thought of starting a blog for several months now, but I always talked myself out of it. I'm too busy. I won't keep up with it. No one will read it anyway. And my best excuse, I can't come up with a title to call my blog. Ironic, that my best excuse, is actually going to be the topic of my very first post. 


Words are important to me. Words mean something. Names are important. Names, in my opinion, should mean something. So naming anything, for me, is quite the challenge. If I was going to start a blogging, the title of my blog needed to reflect me: my life, my passions, my dreams. So for the past couple weeks, I've thought about what I would want to name my blog. I brainstormed for a few weeks (yes, weeks. yes, its slightly nerdy), and came up nameless. And then, during my lunch break at work today, it hit me. Boots and Spurs*. Those words sum up everything about me. So, I'm going to do something completely out of my comfort zone. I'm going to completely open up, and let people in. I'm going to become vulnerable and I'm going to be completely honest on this blog. And I will begin by  explaining the meaning behind Boots and Spurs*.


Boots is my happiness. I am a country girl who grew up in the middle of the Amish farmlands in Southeast, Pennsylvania. I learned to ride horses before I could walk and my love for horses and western riding has only grown over the years. Cowboy boots were worn on my wedding day, and I continue to wear them often, even though I have been relocated to sunny Clearwater, FL. And that brings me to my second reason why the word "boots" is equal to "happiness" in my vocabulary. I would never leave the country and move to a busy tourist city if the choice were mine alone. But I found my love( that story to come on a later blog post), who just so happened to be an Army man; so home has become wherever the Army sends us. Although I miss the country, I love being an Army wife. I love everything about it. There are definitely challenges and difficulties, but I wouldn't change it for the world. My husband is gone often, but when I come home and see those sandy boots sitting outside our doorstep, my heart is filled with an inexplicable excitement and joy. So, for me, when I see boots or hear the word "boots", my mind automatically connects it with the joys and happiness of life that God has blessed me with.


My life is filled with happiness but, like anyone else, at times things get tough. There are disappointments. There are hardships. There are spurs- sharp, painful times in life. Spurs can be extremely painful, if you dwell on that pain. But spurs can also be used to drive someone forward. To persevere through the bad times and to become a better person because of it. I believe that God allows trials to come into our lives to mold us. James 1:2-4 says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything". So again, while spurs are not necessarily always enjoyable, they are a necessity in life, just like happiness. 


If you, for some reason, decide to follow this blog, you will be reading posts about Boots and Spurs*. About the good times and the bad and everything in between. I won't ever claim to have the most exciting or thrilling posts, but I promise to you that I will be honest. Always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment